The COAP message boards are for you to talk about what it's like living with another person's addiction and to connect with other's in similar situations.
By creating a user account and by posting to these forums, you must agree to abide by these rules.
These rules exist for your own protection and to ensure that the COAP message boards remain a friendly, safe and supportive environment for all users.
Taking care of yourself
Please remember to take care of yourself when visiting this website and reading other people's messages. Sometimes other people's messages may contain upsetting experiences that may trigger or deepen your own distress. You can always stop reading a message if its upsetting you and come back to it another time.
When will messages appear?
Please note that it can take up to 24 hours for a message to be moderated and put up onto the site. All messages are moderated before they go up onto the site to ensure COAP members safety, so that personal details such as email addresses and phone numbers are not posted onto the website.
Please Read Before You Sign Up
- Introduce yourself to our online community so we can all welcome you on board.
- Post messages sharing your story, experiences and feelings, and poems or creative writing.
- Put tags on your forum posts - these help others to find a post they can most relate to.
- Respond to posts that are active, if you respond to posts older than 6 months you may not get a reply as the member may not be visiting COAP regularly.
- Treat others the way you'd like to be treated.
- Don’t swear or post messages that are offensive.
- Don't write messages on the message board that are obviously suicidal or contain graphic descriptions of self harm as these can't be posted. If you are feeling this way contact Childline or Samaritans.
- Don't arrange to meet anyone on the site, ask for anyone's personal details or give out your own details.
- Don't name individuals (such as family or friends) or say anything that is not true about another person that can easily be identified as this can amount to libel.
- Don’t write a message stating your intent to leave the site (forever or for a short while) as this can leave other users feeling like they should convince you to stay.
- The discussion of illegal activities, such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
- Any sexually oriented imagery or links to such content are unacceptable and will not be posted
- Create multiple accounts.
By posting a message, you agree that we may use the whole or part of the message for the purpose of site fundraising or promotion.
Except for comments by moderators, the views expressed either on or via these forums are those of the author alone and are not necessarily endorsed or shared by COAP.
Staying Safe Online - Signing up
When you visit the COAP message board, sign in with a username, when you’re posting messages make sure you don’t give out you real full name, your email address,your phone number, where you live, your school, and don’t send out a picture of yourself.
Never use your own name or family surname when you register for an account to join the COAP online community.
Please make sure that you only use a username (a nickname), for example "heretotalk" or "flower" etc. This is for COAP members safety as some members may have a profile in a networking site such as Facebook or Myspace, so by only using the username (a nickname), this means people will not be able to identify you by looking in a search engine and finding your profiles. The message board can be viewed by anyone and those who create an account can read replies to posts, so to make sure no one else knows who you are, choose a nickname for your username. It is best to keep info like this to yourself, as you never know who might be in the forums, and who can see your details.
Please don’t use an inappropriate nickname. If you use a nickname that is rude, vulgar or offensive you will not be able to post on the message board.
You cant always be 100% sure that people of your age are in the forums. There could be an adult trying to pretend to be around your age, trying to trick you or wind you up. Chat Safely!
Not using your computer to visit COAP!
If you visit COAP on a mobile phone or games console remember the same online safety rules apply.
Keep all passwords you use on the computer PRIVATE, keep them to yourself.
Something bugging you?
If something is worrying you leave the forumstraight away and report it to COAP, also let someone else know. Save anyconversations with the date, day and time it happened, that you think could prove someone has been making you feel uncomfortable, worried or upset. To report something to COAP contact us through the contact section.
Thinking of meeting someone?
NEVER arrange to meet anyone in the real world who you have met online, unless your parent/carer agrees and comes with you. Ifyour parent/carer does agree and comes with you, never arrange to meet at your online friend at their house or yours. Meet in a public place like a shopping centre, or café; it’s safer. Meeting someone you have only been in touch with online can be dangerous.
No time for bad manners?
Report bad-taste and bad-attitude messages in the forums to COAP by emailing us through the contact section.
Viruses can spread through email attachments, causing serious damage or even destroy your computer. Make sure the emails are from people you know and trust before opening them. Even this does not necessarily mean your computer is safe, so if you are not sure, scan it for viruses first or bin it.
Further information to help you stay safe online can befound on the following websites:
www.childline.org.uk/.......staying safe online
To ensure that the COAP message boards provide a safe and friendly user environment, all posts to the forums will be pre-moderated.
Posts that breach any of the rules outlined in the message board rules will not be posted.
Please note any users that post a message with an external link to promote a business or service that is not relevant to supporting others in the community will be deleted and the user will be banned from the COAP website.
Messages posted that fall into any of these categories below will be deleted and not displayed in the message forums.
- Pointless – the message contributes no value to the message boards
- Crosspost – the message was posted to more than one forum
- SPAM – the thread was advertising or thinly disguised market research
Messages that do not fall exactly into one of the above categories, but which are deemed inappropriate due to their content or nature will not be posted.
COAP does not offer an emergency service. If you consider your problem to be life threatening or if it is extremely serious we ask you to contact the emergency services or other appropriate agencies. Please see the links section for other important links